Saturday, January 29, 2011

Travel to Oktoberfest in Germany

Posted by Administrator On 10:22 PM No comments

Oktoberfest’s 200th anniversary lands on this year (2010). My timing couldn’t have been more perfect. And to answer your question, yes-I am hungover, and this is to confirm the myth that Oktoberfest beers “don’t give you a hangover”.

My main modes of transport to arrive at Oktoberfest are trains and care sharing. Car sharing is a must do when traveling on a budget in and around Germany. I happen to be lucky this time as the 3 guys I was car sharing with couldn’t be any nicer for the four hour journey we had ahead of us.
Marcus (one of the fellow car sharers) and I were in deep conversation with topics involving American vs European economics and each praising one anther’s territory.
It slipped my mind of the potential theory that it might just be colder as I headed 11 hours North of Bari. My theory was justified when we made a pit stop in the mountains of Switzerland and it was then where I was abruptly reminded that my shorts and tank top served no purpose… 8 degrees Celsius here we come!
Road tripping from Bolzano-Bozen, Italy to Munich, Germany we passed through Austria and Switzerland. The alps of Austria were unbelievable, truly leaving me in a peaceful place as we winded through the curvy roads of this mountain country. Finally we were closing in on our approach into Munich.
A few days before I had arranged my stay in Munich with a couchsurfer host. He made the point of telling me last minute that he had to work but regardless he was going to try his best at accommodating me. I met him at Löwenbräu resturaunt where he worked. Located on Nymphenburger Straße 2, it was the perfect pre-and-after party of Oktoberfest. There are live bands, free hair braiding, a dance club upstairs, and of course-premium lagers. He handed me the keys to his place so that I could clean myself up and head back to Löwenbräu’s and begin the festives.

Oktoberfest begins this year on Saturday the 17th at 10:00am. Therefore, excitement and anticipation fills the air the night before and the Germans especially are ready to drink! The night for me entailed free beers (for me), getting my hair braided and congregating on top of tables singing and “prosting” with a group of 12 Dutch men. We spent the night debating whether Denmark is the happiest place to live in the world or not… The verdict still stands.
Around 4am I made the intelligent decision of going to bed, I had a long day ahead of me.

The next morning my host and I shared conversation over toast and jam and I received the lowdown on the ins and outs of Oktoberfest and what it entails (from his point of view). He talked me out of my yearning to be there right when the doors open at 10, so instead I headed there around 1.
Entering Oktoberfest through the massive weeded awning I was exhausted. I pushed through and managed to eat a foot long bratwurst, some candied walnuts and made my way into my first beer tent. My expectations were high, and right when I entered my first tent Augustiner, I really felt the good and drunken vibes which lifted my spirits! Making my way to a decent table I was sandwiched between hundreds of people who were all trying to get somewhere. The pressure of all these people tightly squeezing through everyone else made me feel extremely claustrophobic. Regardless, I was laughing the entire time. I made my way out of that tent to the outside where I ordered my first of many Oktoberfest liters and mingled with the crowd.
After meeting many dutch and a man with a golden braided wig and a dress, a bloke and I started striking up conversation about our travels. It just so happened that he was from the Southwestern United States as well. He had just hitchhiked from Austria and was working there for the semester. We tent hopped the whole night meeting some very interesting groups of people along the way.

Be prepared for the bathroom situation, and make sure you leave an hour leeway before you really gotta go, the lines are outrageous!
The best beer garden according to the Germans is Augustine, so we spent most of our night there.

At around 10:00pm, they started shutting down Oktoberfest and the after festives began! However, considering my night before I decided to hit the sack early. Tomorrow is a big day for me, 16 hours back to Bari.
My day started early. A bowl of cereal and one large coffee later I was out the door and on my way to the Olympic Stadium and the BMW museum. The first spot I hit at the arena was the pool. It was outrageous with 5 pools, the biggest one was the Olympic sized pool which had 10 lanes of crystal clear water and starting blocks. Sadly enough though, I had no time to swim a few laps, however I did manage to buy an Olympic arena swim cap which I am very happy about!

The Olympic arena is equipped with trampolines, tennis courts, soccer fields and its own museum. Not to mention the massive park that surrounds the arena which has bike paths and walking paths that take you through the ponds and gardens.
The BMW museum was equipped with every style of car from the classics to the new and innovative bio and Eco efficient models. I was surprised at the fact of how people were allowed to not only touch them, but let their dogs inside of them as well!

Unfortunately my short stay in Munich has again, come to an end and I will catch the train from Munich to Bolzano (£55 and 4 hours long). Then, the overnight train from Bolzano to Bari (£45 and 12 hours long). I recommend pitching in the extra 20 euros for the sleeper cabin because TranItalia has the worst, most uncomfortable and cramped sitting/sleeping situation in the standard seats. When one person has to get up, all 6 people have to get up in the compartment… not good.

Next Stop: Detour to London, England

Next Post: Iceland

Source: http://facetraveling.com/


Share This Post Please...

0 comments:

Post a Comment